DIY – Do it yourself
If you plan to bring in your own vehicle from the States VAI can handle all the importation approval, freight, shipping and customs. From there we can convert your vehicle for you.
Vehicle Importation Procedures:
Under RAWS Scheme
- Locate a vehicle of choice
- Check vehicle entry number on the Special and Enthusiast Vehicles Listing.
- Contact Victorian American Imports- Registered Automotive Workshop- to apply for import approval through the workshop.
- Vehicle is NOT to be shipped BEFORE receiving an import approval.
- Vehicle air-conditioning system is to be de-gassed prior to shipping with work certification presented.
- After arriving at Australian docks, a quarantine inspection will be organized and all related duties paid to shipping company & customs broker prior to the release of vehicle.
- If initial quarantine inspection fails, the vehicle will be subjected to steam cleaning and transferred to an external storage facility for secondary inspection.
- Upon passing of secondary inspection, vehicle will be picked up and delivered to the Registered Automotive Workshop premise.
- Applicable conversion & compliance procedure will take place as per normal and upon the plating of Used Imported Vehicle Compliance Plate, vehicle will be ready for registration in Australia.
Under personal imports scheme
The personal imports scheme allows migrants settling in Australia, and expatriate Australian citizens returning permanently to Australia after a long period overseas, to bring their personal vehicles with them.
Applicants may only import one vehicle (under the scheme) every 5 years.
- Application for Approval to Import a Vehicle Form (VSB10_gen_app_201107_v2)
Under pre-1989 scheme
- A completed application form;
- Personal_Import_Application_201107 Form
- the $50 application fee;
- a copy of the purchase document for the vehicle;
- if the vehicles date of manufacture is unclear — additional supporting documentation to establish the date of manufacture;
- if you have not applied within the previous 12 months — a copy of your picture ID;
- a recent photo of the vehicle (in its current condition); and
- Answers to the following questions:
- Please advise if the vehicle has had any modifications and if so please list the modifications.
- Please advise the Body style of the vehicle (e.g., 2-door convertible)
- Please advise is the body of your vehicle customized
- Please advise what engine is in your vehicle (e.g., 289 cu in 4.7L Ford Windsor V8)
- Please advise what transmission is in the vehicle (e.g., 4-speed manual)
- If the vehicle has been the subject of a vehicle conversion — supporting documentation to establish the details of the conversion and the date the conversion was completed.
For specific rulings & information relative to the importation of vehicles into Australia see: